Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Decisions Have Been Made : Meat Chicken Project Begins!

I have done my research on raising meat chickens and I have decided to take the plunge!  I had originally planned on buying chicks from the local farm store, but after some internet searching I found that I could get a better deal on chicks if I ordered from a hatchery.  I looked up specials from a number of hatcheries and decided to order a batch of "special heavy assorted" from Cackle Hatchery.  I had heard great things about the hatchery and hope things go smoothly for my little chicks as they make their way across the country.  I got a good deal on 25 chicks for $1.20 each and the shipping was about $20, so for about $2.00 a chick I am getting started on my latest chicken adventure.

I have never mail ordered chicks before, so I'm not quite sure what to expect when the chicks arrive.  I hope that all of them survive the journey and I am excited to see what kinds of chicks they turn out to be.  Part of the reason they were so cheap is because I am getting what the industry refers to as straight run, meaning that the chicks could be either male or female.  That is just fine with me because they are destined for a date with my freezer in the long run, and I don't plan on keeping any as laying hens.  I may keep a rooster for a little while if I have one that would be suitable for a breeding program with my laying hens. It will have to be a very special rooster with not a mean bone in his body.  I won't tolerate a rooster that attacks me or that crows early and frequently.  I know that is a tall order, but I like my sleep, and I like to not be attacked by animals in my care.

Right now I have a brooding box set up for my new arrivals in the back room.  My friend lent me a large reptile cage that she wasn't using so I would have a large enclosure for the chicks.  I have a feeling that they will outgrow this tank in a matter of weeks, so the plan is to build a large run for them asap.

I decided on building the large run, mostly for the fact that it will double as a green house when it's done being used to raise meat birds.  It's might also become the laying hens quarters in the winter since it will give them a little more room than thier current enclousure.  Construction on that should begin as soon as I can pick up the matierals.  I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment