Thursday, May 12, 2016

Spring Garden Tour

Spring has been coming along nicely and I thought I might share some pictures of the progress my garden in making this season.


The celery are making a comeback after they got off to a windy start in the garden.  

The kale are happily chugging along.

The beets have been slow to come up, but I just weeded them well and mulched them in so hopefully they will start to take off soon.

The turnips are quite happy and don't seem to be having any trouble with the wind, the rain, or the chilly temps.  At the rate they are growing I bet it will just be a month or two until I can harvest them!

This was the second planting of lettuce and spinach.  The spinach came up well, and the lettuce 
weren't far behind.  

The onions are looking very nice as well.  Just a couple of weeks ago they were barely peeking out of the ground.  I made sure to sprinkle another layer of mulch over them while they were still small, since it will be more difficult to do later when they really start to fill in the bed.

The garlic is looking fantastic.  Some of the bigger plants are nearly a foot tall already.  They will probably be ready to harvest in a month or two depending on how cooperative the weather is.

The peas are finally getting going.  Some have started wrapping their tendrils around the trellis, so it should just be a few more weeks until they start flowering and producing peas for me.  The first planting of lettuce is also finally making an appearance in this bed.  

On the other side of the peas I have a nice looking crop of spinach growing here.  It's finally big enough to start harvesting leaves from and I will be enjoying spinach salad regularly in the coming weeks.

In the center long row, my gamble of planting early corn seems to be paying off.  The corn is sprouting all over this bed and once the weather warms up enough I expect it to shoot up quickly.  Once most of the sprouts get to be about six inches tall I will plant some pole bean seeds in this bed.

In the long row closest to the fence my assortment of sunflowers have started to come up as well.  I haven't seen any amaranth sprouts yet, but with all the rain we are getting, I'm sure it won't be long until they appear.

Last but not least, I am happy to see that the bare root strawberries I planted a couple of weeks ago are showing signs of growth.  I know I'm not going to get any berries from them this year, but if they do well then I hope to be adding berries to my freezer next spring.

I think that this is my favorite time of the year in the garden.  Everything is small and new and holds hope for a bountiful summer.  Hope you enjoyed the tour!










No comments:

Post a Comment