Thursday, May 5, 2016

Transplanting the Brassicas

A couple of weeks ago I decided that the broccoli and brussel sprouts were big enough to be transplanted outside.  I hardened them off for a couple of days before I planted them out.  This year I decided to devote an entire bed to broccoli and a second bed to brussel sprouts.
I planted twelve broccoli starts, eight of them were a variety called Waltham, the other four were a variety called Atlantic.  

I planted five brussel sprout seedlings, but only three of those were a decent size.  I was hoping to have more plants, and I may fill in spaces with nursery starts if I need to.  


On either side of the brussel sprouts I also planted a row of carrots.  When I was finished transplanting everything, I laid down a few rows of drip lines on each of the beds.  Over that I put down a thick layer of mulch.  Brassicas don't do well in the heat, but by mulching them deeply, I can help to keep their roots nice and cool.

As these plants grow I will probably add another layer of mulch to help keep down the weed population and to help hold moisture in the soil.  I am learning that keeping my garden well mulched makes the growing plants very happy in this dry and sometimes very hot climate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment