Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Cool Rock Trail Hike

The summer hiking season is just around the corner, so I am getting myself ready for that by going on shorter hikes at lower elevations where it is warm and dry.  This last weekend I had a chance to go on an excursion with my dog and I choose to go to a place close to my house.  I wanted to go somewhere that I hadn't been before just for a change of scene.  Cool Rock Trail is on the north side of the Black Canyon and starts near the bottom of the canyon by the Gunnison River.  I chose this hike because it sounded like it wouldn't be too difficult, but I didn't take into account how many ledges there might be to climb up in a canyon.  The first part of the trail was nice and easy and gradually rose through the bottom of the canyon.


The farther we went along the trail the closer the canyon walls became.  They towered over my head.

There were some neat looking rock formations that I found along the way.


As we moved up the canyon the trail became steeper and steeper.  There were many places that I had to climb up large boulders to continue on the trail.  I had to lift my dog up most of these as well, since he is getting too old to jump that high and I don't want him to re injure his knee.  I finally decided to turn back since this isn't a trail that he is fit for.  I would've liked to hike further up the trail, but the views coming back down were pretty outstanding.

There were also many desert bushes in full bloom out here and the air was heavy with the buzzing of bees around them.

Back at the trail head the other side of the canyon rises imposingly above the river.

Since the hike was a little on the short side, I walked up the road a bit and ate my packed lunch under the shade of an ancient cottonwood beside the river.  It was a peaceful place and I'm glad that I found a new place to hike near my house. Next time I come I will have to leave the dog at home so I can explore farther up this canyon.







No comments:

Post a Comment